Friday, May 09, 2008

Good Runs

This week I decided that if I was going to continue to run, even with a sore back, I might as well try to add a little speed.  I loaded a Carmichael Training Systems training MP3 into my iPod Nano and went to it.  The workout was a Fartlek workout with Dean Karnazes.  It consisted of a 15 minute warm up, then 8 X 3 minutes fast with 3 minute recoveries in between.  Then once 8 repeats were completed there was a 15 minute cool down.  This workout was just what I needed,  With this workout I could run my 6 mile runs that I have been doing and have a goal at the same time.  I ran this workout Monday and Wednesday and averaged between 11 and 12 minute pace for the overall workout, which wasn't bad considering all of the easy and recovery running/walking.  I plan on a trail run for my third run of the week.

I am completely happy with Polar, I had sent my Polar S625X back to Polar due to it not being waterproof after they had replaced the battery.  They sent me a new S625X to replace mine at no charge.  I couldn't believe it, I was  not expecting them to replace it.  What a great outcome.

I also received my new Nike+ Sportband from Roadrunner Sports and it worked great also.  When I took it out for a run, without calibrating it, it was only .2 of a mile off.  I have calibrated it for walking, next I have to calibrate it for running.  I also have an iPod Nano with Nike+ and since I calibrated it for both running and walking it is right on with the distance on my GPS when I use both.

I went to physical therapy on Wednesday and I had a Back Doctor appointment today.  The Doctor said to continue to do what I am doing as long as it doesn't make my back worse.  So, I will continue to stretch, ice and run.

No comments: