Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Post #2


I AM JUMPING AHEAD FOR A MOMENT 


I have run 3 races in the past 3 weeks. The first was a Cross-country race and I had a very bad time. I blamed it on having a flu shot on the Wednesday before the race on Saturday. 

The next weekend I ran another race of the same distance and improved approximately 3 minutes. This validated in my mind that the flu shot had something to do with my poor time the week before. 

The third race I ran was this last Saturday and I improved over last years time for the same race by 5 seconds. That is not much, but every second counts.

All this leads into the fact that I have registered for the Disney Half Marathon in January 2006, so it is time to start training again.

I have run the Disney Marathon four times and the Half Marathon three times. So, I feel that if I train like I should I will have no problem with the race. Speed is another thing though. I would like to run a faster time than I did previously, but I am three years older.

I have chosen to use Roy Benson's 10K training program in PC Coach software. I have used it in the past when I trained seriously and liked it. Roy's 10K program has sufficient mileage base to handle running 13.1 miles in a race with no trouble.

My biggest problem is sticking with the program all the way through. I have a tendency to go off on a tangent and mix some other schedule into the middle of the program I am using. 

I am into the 4th week of my training schedule and am still on track, so I hope that I will continue to maintain focus on the event and stick with it. 

No comments: