Sunday, April 20, 2008

Running and Back Pain

Since my back has been hurting I have decided to change my running schedule. For the past 2 weeks I have run 15.5 miles each week. I run 3 days a week, two 5 milers and one 5.5 mile trail run. My back is still hurting, but I am better able to cope with the pain if I don't run every day.

I have started going to physical therapy, icing my back and continue to stretch. Ibuprofen helps, I have been taking 3 in the morning, 2 at lunch and 2 in the evening.

As far as running goes, I have been running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute during all of my runs. Since 3/4 of my time is spent running I still consider it a run.

I plan on increasing my distance about 10% this week, so that means I will have two 5.5 mile runs and one 6 mile run, still with the R3/W1 pattern though.

The days I don't run I go to the gym and workout and sometime ride my bike. Of course I like riding outside, but if the temp is to cool I ride my windload trainer.

No comments: