Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Post #1

WHERE SHOULD I START? 


Should I start at the beginning and work my way to the present? Or, should I just start with the present and go forward? This is a dilemma, I hadn't thought about this previously.

I have many memories of running experiences in the past that are still very vivid and have had a very large impact on my running life.

Well, maybe I should start at the beginning and see just how much I really do remember.

I guess it all started when I was a kid and found out that my Dad had held the 1/2 mile record for the State of Maine when he was in High school back in the 1930's. 

I was very impressed with this and decided that I should run. The only thing was all of the other kids were faster than me. Of course we are talking about sprinting. I didn't know anything about long distance or cross-country running back then. I quit.

When I graduated High school I joined the Navy and went to electronics school in Memphis, TN. While I was in school I joined the Swim team and spent 3 hours a day 5 days a week in the pool after school. That got me in very good shape and I felt good about myself. The Navy swim team competed in local meets around the area and we did very well.

When I completed school I was sent to Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico for duty. As it turned out that is where the UDT (Seals) came to complete their training after Hell week in Little Creek, VA. These guys ran 5 miles everyday and I was duly impressed. I decided to start running again, but I would just run slow and try to go farther. I lasted about 6 weeks and then decided that I liked swimming better and went back to the beach and started snorkeling.

The time frame for this entry was from the mid 1950's to 1962

No comments: