Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Post #6


NOW ABOUT THE TRAILS 


Since the name of this Blog is "Lost Trail Runner", you may be wondering where in all that I have written are the trails. The answer is I haven't written about trails yet, but I will.

When I lived in Florida and attended "Florida Technological University", renamed after I graduated to "University of Central Florida", I would go out to the campus and run on the trails where the X-C team trained. I also ran on any dirt roads that I could find. That was the extent of my trail running in Florida.

When I moved to Georgia I found the trail around Stone Mountain and ran there a lot. The trail around Stone Mountain is approximately 5.5 to 6 miles long. Prior to the 1980 Olympics, Benji Durden trained on the Stone Mountain trail in preparation for the marathon. Of course Benji made the Olympic team and then President Carter boycotted the games and Benji didn't get to go.

The Atlanta Track Club had a 10K Trail race at Kennesaw Mountain. It was one of my very favorite races. The best I ever did in that race was 48 minutes, but I loved it. The race was killed by the National Park Service for some reason and the Track Club never replaced it with another trail race. 

There was a 10K Trail Race that was run at the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area by the Chattahoochee River back in the early 1980's and it was a good race, but it didn't last either.

I used to run some on a trail at Tribble Mill Park in Gwinnett County until the County paved it.

I have also run on the Appalachian Trail in the North Georgia mountains, but I mostly run at Stone Mountain if I want to run on a trail.

That is where I get the name "Lost Trail Runner" from, since I run more on the pavement now, even though I prefer the trails. Maybe what I will do is try to travel around the area and find trails to run and write about them in this Blog. That's the ticket! 

No comments: