Friday, November 25, 2005

Post #5


ON WE GO 


In my last entry I mentioned that I got plantar fasciitis. Talk about something that will slow you down, that is it. 

Well, I limped around for a couple of months, then I finally went to a podiatrist and got a pair of orthotics made, I also got a cortisone shot in my heel. 

My foot got better slowly, but in the meantime I was taking about 600-800 mg of Motrin a day. The doctor also gave me a stretching program which I wasn't very good at sticking with, I should have. Now that I am older I realize that if I would have stretched religiously I wouldn't have had the problem so long. 

I still managed to run about 20-30 races a year during this time, slower but not bad. I ran the Atlanta Marathon in 1983 and 1984, with a PR of 3:53. My goal had been to break 4:00 for the marathon distance. I did better at the 1/2 marathon with a PR of 1:29:12 at the Savannah 1/2 Marathon. 

I got interested in Triathlon in 1985 and started cross-training and did some Sprint Tri's and Duathlons until about 1991. I never did any Olympic distance Tri's though. I am still interested in triathlon, but I haven't entered one in many years. I do ride my bicycle, but I very seldom swim.

I am going to try to be more consistent with entries to this blog, we'll see how it goes. 

No comments: