Saturday, November 08, 2008

XTERRA Trail Race Report


XTERRA Battle at Big Creek Trail Run.

Got up early this morning to head out to the race to change my registration to the 11K race.

When I arrived at the venue I went to registration. The Race Director was really nice, he said just pick up my race packet and then we would go over to the scoring tent and get my name moved to the 11K race. No problem.

The temperature was more like 50 than 40 and it was sunny, but a little breezy.

The race started in the gravel parking lot, I hung near the back at the start. That probably was a mistake because when we hit the trail it was definitely single track. As a matter of fact it was single track for the whole race, very few wide spots for passing. Not that I passed very many people at all. Lots of uphill, lots of rocks, lots of roots, I was expecting to crash and burn but never did. I did trip a few times, but never hit the ground.

Since I really wasn't in shape for the 11K I figured I would just take it easy and cruise through it as a training run. Of course I was not expecting the course to be 8.11 miles, I was planning on 11K which is close to 7 miles. I don't know how the course got measured over a mile off in distance, but when I was ready for the race to be over I still had a mile to go. That was a bummer for sure.

The bright side was I still was able to finish 2nd in my age group. Even though the course was long I still enjoyed the race, I guess I just like trail races, they are so much different than road races.

No comments: