Friday, June 12, 2009

Deep South 15K Trail Race

On Sunday Morning, June, 7th I drove to Dauset Trails near Jackson, GA for another XTERRA Trail Race. This was my anniversary run for the XTERRA Series. One year ago I decided to run this series and now I was running the Deep South 15K for the second time. I will admit I really wanted to do better than last year. The problem was, I had really not run or exercised much since Memorial Day.

As a race strategy I decided to start the race out by running the 1st mile then start running 4 minutes and walking 1 minute for the rest of the race. As it turned out I ran the 1st 2 miles then started doing the run 4/walk 1 routine. This strategy worked out well for me, because I didn't burn out during the race.

The day wasn't as hot as last year's race, but I believe the humidity was much higher than last year. When I finished the race I was really soaked from sweat.

I did manage to trip on a root or rock at around 7 miles and crash. Not much damage except for my glasses. The frame got bent and that really messed up my vision which caused me to run slower for the last 2 miles.

I ended up finishing 2nd in my age group with a 1:44:59 which was about a minute and a half behind the 1st place finisher. Of course I wondered after the race, if I hadn't crashed, how much closer to 1st place would I have finished.

Still a good race for me and I did beat last year's time. I finished in 1:49:54 last year.

Just Keep Moving!

No comments: