Friday, August 28, 2009

Cardiology and Fivefingers


Yesterday, I had an appointment to get a Bubble Test at the cardiologist to determine if I had a hole in my heart. Happy to say that the results of the test indicated that I have no hole. I was given an event monitor to wear so if my heart rate jumped up I could record it and forward it to the cardiologist. I will be wearing the event monitor up to 30 days, just depending on what my heart does.

When I got home I found that my Vibram Fivefingers had arrived. I wanted to see how they felt to run in, so I headed down to Lilburn Park to give them a try. As I got there it started raining, so I decided to head out to Stone Mountain and see how it was out there. It was raining at Stone Mountain also, but quit shortly. I ran on the grass by the edge of the road and the Fivefingers felt comfortable, but as they got wet there was a rubbing sensation on my left big toe. I ended up running a mile in them and was impressed at how comfortable they were overall, not counting the rubbing of course. I think that was due to them getting so wet. I found that I have muscles in my legs that I didn't know I have. Even though I only ran a mile, I had some sore leg muscles this morning. I can see now that you have to break your legs and feet in on this forefoot running thing.

I think I will do about a 1/2 mile a day in the Fivefingers until my feet get stronger and my legs adapt.

Just Keep Moving!

No comments: