Monday, August 24, 2009

Trying to Start up a New Workout Pattern

I really don't know where to start with this entry. I guess I will start after my cardiologist appointment on August 14th. As you may know if you listened to my Podcast #31 the exercise stress test test came back as normal. So I decided to go ahead and start running again, but easy and low mileage for now.

I fired up my PCCoach software and started a new Roy Benson Training program. I decided on the Fun Runner option because I wanted to basically start my running from scratch, just as if I was starting all over again as a new runner. The program gave me a schedule of running 4 days a week to start with 2 days of heart rate fartlek and 2 days of easy runs. My 1st 3 days of running were uneventful, I was able to complete them as scheduled. The 4th day my heart rate jumped to 188 bpm after 1/2 mile and never came back down to normal. I ended up walking in order to complete the workout. I scrapped that program for now and decided to go in another direction.

I took off a day and then decided I would try something different. I decided to switch to a run/walk program where I run 1 minute/walk 1 minute for a total of 2 miles, all easy workouts. I went down to Lilburn Park which is about 2 miles from my house and ran on the short loop there. I figured with a short loop if I had a problem it wouldn't be to far back to the car.

I have run/walked two 2 mile workouts at Lilburn park with no problem, hopefully I can continue with these short run/walks without a problem until I go back to the Cardiologist on September 2nd for my follow up appointment.

No comments: